ORCA Academy provides support to young professionals from Serbia and the Western Balkans who wish to professionally develop in the fields of animal welfare and nature conservation. We do this through:
- providing mentoring support in the development of professional research, master and doctoral theses,
- internship at ORCA and partner organizations in the country and abroad,
- organizing various trainings for professionals, activists or students to contribute more effectively to the protection of animals and nature in their local communities,
- providing support in the form of free accommodation in our Student dorm “Ljubinka Vivčar”.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
ORCA Academy motivates
different target groups to activate themselves in the interest of their personal development but also the socio-economic development of the society in which they live and work.
ORCA ACADEMY RAISES THE LEVEL OF EDUCATION AND EXPERTISE
of staff contributing to animal welfare and nature conservation by disseminating more up-to-date knowledge and tools in the fields of animal welfare and nature conservation
ORCA ACADEMY RAISES DECISION MAKERS’ AWARENESS
of the need for job creation and the involvement of skilled and trained staff in the field of animal welfare and nature conservation in jobs crucial for the socio-economic development of local communities and European integration.
The idea of establishing the ORCA Academy came from the need to create and strengthen professional and scientific staff in Serbia and the Western Balkans, who would make a professional commitment to advance the fields of animal welfare and nature conservation. The lack of quality staff directly responsible for the protection of animals and nature, capable of responding to contemporary challenges in these fields, is very pronounced both in Serbia and in the Western Balkans. Due to the lack of effective conservation systems that work in practice, impairment of animal welfare, protection of species, their populations and entire ecosystems is evident. Existing problems are not resolved but magnified, and over time new ones appear that further threaten the already eroded equilibrium in ecosystems, that is, the impaired animal welfare at local and national levels.
The reasons for this situation results from the lack of interest of the target groups in these topics, as they do not see in them the perspective and their professional career, but also from the lack of a unique training and program center that would enable all interested and motivated staff to acquire knowledge and skills needed to perform their jobs professionally and effectively.
ORCA Academy is intended for final year students, master students and doctoral students, as well as employees of state institutions, higher education institutions and civil society organizations.
ORCA Academy consists of several components:
- One-day, multi-day and several-month training programs provided by eminent local and international experts;
- Internships at ORCA and partner organizations and institutions;
- Mentor support in the preparation of professional research papers, master and doctoral thesis, or designing and conducting scientific research;
- A dormitory to support the education of the best and socially vulnerable students
We invite all interested candidates to follow our work and open competitions and reserve their place among the future leaders in nature and animal protection in Serbia and the Western Balkans!