Project „Developing a system of dog population control in Serbia II“
Abandoned dogs represent one of the most abundant and important problems that local communities face throughout Serbia. In 2016, World Animal Protection and ORCA worked to ensure all relevant information is gathered in order to support the introduction of dog population management system in Serbia.
Recognising that baseline data is missing in this area, we have conducted a comprehensive national research of the state of dog population management in Serbia aiming to ensure relevant information is used to develop an evidence-based road map for establishing a humane and effective system of dog population management in Serbia. World Animal Protection and ORCA have also worked to identify, inform and engage all relevant stakeholders and partners in Serbia and abroad interested to support Serbia and the region to solve long-term problems with ineffective dog population management.
In addition to this, in 2016, ORCA has developed a first model of humane and efficient dog population management at local level “FOR PEOPLE AND DOGS” and implemented it in municipality of Bogatic. We have conducted a comprehesive research of dog population management at local level and supported the Municipality to create the first evidence-based local dog population control programme in Serbia. Take a look at our video from Bogatic
In 2017 and 2018, our main aim is to build on our last year results in order to gather a nation-wide support to creating a national dog population management Strategy and implementing ORCA model “FOR PEOPLE AND DOGS”. Project is supported by World Animal Protection.
Main project activities:
- Creating promotional materials and distributing them to cities and municipalities in order to share useful information about the ORCA model “FOR PEOPLE AND DOGS”;
- Organising a seminar for media in order to raise media awareness about the underrepresented topic of stray dogs and dog population management;
- Developing a dog population management website as a resource platform for national and local authorities to learn about the ORCA model “FOR PEOPLE AND DOGS”;
- Organising workshops for children and a literary and art competition are organised to teach them about dog care, dog bite prevention, stray dog issues and responsible ownership;
- Holding a first national conference on dog population management in Serbia.
Find out more about ORCA model “FOR PEOPLE AND DOGS” at our website www.balkandogs.orca.rs and look what Jovan Memedovic thinks about our approach